Friday, May 30, 2008

Inspiration

A great story has come to light. It's been developing over the course of the last couple of months, I guess, but I only became aware of it a few weeks ago, when it became public knowledge. Stuart Neville, up until recently another one of us aspiring novelists who frequent a popular circuit of blogs for writers, agents, editors, and hopefully a few marketing people, has landed not only an agent but one of the preeminent agents in the business. A guy by the name of Nat Sobel. What this means, essentially, is that Stuart, who also goes by the blog handle Conduit, is about to experience the Big Time. In a big way.

I got my first taste of Stuart's writing when he posted a story on the Crapometer, titled The Last Dance. I liked his style right away. He tells a compelling story in an engaging voice, his use of imagery is tight, and his dialogue rings true. I had my suspicions then that he would make it to publication, and soon, but the magnitude of the breakthrough, I don't think anyone could have foreseen. Not to say it isn't deserved, because I believe it is, but for it to happen to someone who I consider an "internet friend", right here in my own circle, so to speak, is truly inspiring.

The cool part about Stuart's story is that The Last Dance played a significant role in his good fortune in landing the uber (pretend you see the little accent things) agent. Stuart submitted the story to Thuglit.com, an online magazine, and it was published in Feb/March 2008 edition. Nat Sobel happened to read the story on the net, contacted Stuart, asked for pages, and the rest is history. Nat initiated the contact, not Stuart. Go to Conduit's, blog and read it in his own words. It is an awesome story, and well told, as you would expect.

Stuart made one of the first comments about my writing when I submitted chapters to the Crapometer. In fact, it was his first comment, and Sex Scenes at Starbucks' comment, that made me truly believe in my writing and really want to get better and write good stories. I owe him more than he'll ever know. I owe lots of people, really, but when you get compliments from people whose opinion you've come to respect after months of lurking and reading comments, it truly boosts the confidence. That's what makes it so cool to watch Stuart's success, sort of from the ground floor. I don't claim to be part of his inner circle, he'll probably have lots of new friends, but it thrills me to be able to know the whole story and watch it evolve. And to know it's happening to a cool guy builds faith in The Good.

It's the kind of story that motivates me to get on with my own writing. Get this first draft finished, polish the sumbitch up, and start sending queries.

Get busy on the next story.

Polish up the short story I wrote last year; it would make good material for Thuglit.com. Who knows, maybe lightning can strike twice.

Cheers, Stuart. Here's to Hope and Inspiration.

10 Comments:

At 8:53 PM , Blogger Blogless Troll said...

Hey, Wood. Like the new digs. Gonna miss "peripatetic" though. Thanks for the linkage. Can't believe I didn't have you linked. On my way to fix that directly.

 
At 8:55 PM , Blogger Blogless Troll said...

Oh yeah. Now I remember. Your blog feed was turned off before, but I guess you fixed that because it works now.

 
At 9:02 PM , Blogger Wonderwood said...

I'm not sure what a blog feed is, but if I fixed it, it was by accident.

Thanks, dude. I got tired of the same old look on the blog and, since I'm going to try to write more frequent posts, I thought I should spruce it up a little.

 
At 4:14 AM , Blogger Stuart Neville said...

Thanks for the mention and the link, Wonderwood. And yes, polish up that story and send it to Thuglit. I sent mine almost on whim, and look what happened. :)

 
At 9:38 AM , Blogger Robin S. said...

Hey Wood - like the new look!

What's the feed thing?

And Conduit- just thought I'd say again - many congrats!

 
At 7:33 AM , Blogger ssas said...

Thanks for the mention. I don't get by Crapometer as much as I'd like, but critting is one of my favorite things. I get to read so many interesting pieces. And I was actually Stuart's first editor--so he'd better not forget us!! :)

 
At 8:22 AM , Blogger Wonderwood said...

Hiya Sex, thanks for dropping by. And I should be the one thanking you for your comments on the crapometer. You really boosted my confidence, and showed me some ways to improve, so thank you.

I'm sure Stuart won't forget you, he'll probably need your help on the next one. I wouldn't be shy about asking for it, if I were him.

Nice to see you. I drop by the crapometer still, but not as frequently as I should. I enjoy critting, too, but the time factor weighs heavy right now.

 
At 7:57 PM , Blogger Robin S. said...

Hey cutie-

I'm right there with you. i've done my last critique until I finish my novel. I love doing it and helping (or hoping to help)- but right now- it's time to bear down and finish up.

Same with you, huh?

 
At 8:15 PM , Blogger Wonderwood said...

Hey, Robin. Yep, I've got to get busy finishing this thing. I'm rewriting (again) the most recent chapter, but I finally know where I'm going with it, which is a huge relief.

The next few months are going to be pretty hectic, I think, due to some family stuff going on, but I have to focus when I get the opportunity. I'll tell you about it the next time we talk. Good luck on yours!

 
At 4:33 PM , Blogger Robin S. said...

Thanks, honey - call me soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home