Saturday, August 11, 2007

Deal 'em

Lucky at cards, unlucky at love. Is that the saying? I’ve heard something like that before, and it sure has been true for me. Lately, anyway.

I’ve got a regular poker game that I attend, every two or three weeks we’ll have a game on Saturday night. We’ve got five regulars, four guys and one of the guy’s girlfriend plays, and then we’ll usually have one or two others that are pretty steady attendees. We had seven show up tonight, six guys and the lady, and it was a good time, we ordered pizza and semi-watched the Jaguars-Dolphins game.

Quarter ante most of the games, fifty cent max bet, three raise max. Friendly stakes. I won about forty dollars tonight. It’s been like that the last five or six times we’ve played. Well, actually last time I won about eight, but the other times I’ve won a minimum of thirty dollars, and usually closer to forty.

I don’t know what the deal is, but I get some damn good cards. I mean, really good cards. I’ve gone on stretches where I’ll win four out of five hands, three in a row, like that, and somebody else might not win four hands all night. It was amazing, humorous at times (to me), how the cards would just fall like I needed them to.

Meanwhile, my love life sucks. I don’t go out to bars anymore, not often anyway, but you’d think that through work, or at the gym, or AA, or even the grocery store I’d meet someone and something would click. It’s been so long since I’ve felt that click, I don’t even know if I’d recognize it. Getting laid isn’t the issue, it can be accomplished without too much trouble, but meeting someone that turns out to be a companion, romance, all that stuff, man, it’s just not happening. I guess when you’re in your forties the odds aren’t as good as when you’re in your twenties or even thirties. Most people in my general age group are married, for the second or third time in a lot of cases.

I’ve also finally come to accept the fact that women in their twenties, unless they are particularly mature for their age and happen to like older men, are too young for me. I went out with a lady a couple of weeks ago, twenty nine, and she seemed young. Maybe it’s because she just got out of a relationship and she’s ready to be one of the girls out on the town every weekend, but it really hit me like a brick. Women in their twenties are young to me. I’m an older man now. Wow.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d date a late-twenties woman, no problem for me, but I think, why would she want to date me? I’m in my forties. Now, I do count the fact that I’m very immature for my age as working to my advantage with younger women (that joke goes over better when it’s spoken rather than written). But seriously, where the hell are the single thirty five to forty year old women? Probably dating guys in their twenties. What the fuck.

I really don't sweat it much. I stay busy, and I’m generally okay with my own company, but it’s nice to have someone to share the good times with. I'm not out there searching for it, though. If it happens, great, but in the mean time, deal me in.

Peace and aces down…

12 Comments:

At 1:22 PM , Blogger Kanani said...

Oh, women in their 40's want men in their fifties or sixties. The guys in their 30's ....well, they're dating the gals in their 20's.

Of course, I'm making that up.

Hey, how about joining a writing group? A critique circle? True, a lot of the people will be older, but circle around, you'll find the right one.

Better yet, go over to your local Barnes & Noble and ask if they would let you start a once a week writer's group that meets there. B&N are pretty supportive. Often they'll clear out a space, push together some tables... and voila... new friends...or sorta.

 
At 4:50 PM , Blogger Wonderwood said...

That's a great suggestion Kanani, thanks. The only problem is time. My schedule is pretty full, so ideally I'll trip over someone during my usual routine. But hey, maybe I need to change the routine. We'll see. Thanks for dropping by!

 
At 8:56 PM , Blogger GutterBall said...

...for the second or third time in a lot of cases.

See, that's why I've remained single for so long. What's the point? I've only known maybe 10 marriages that lasted more than ten years, and at least 8 of those couples bitterly hate each other and are only still married because neither combatant believes in divorce.

I'm supposed to want that...why?

So, I've pretty much sworn it off. Now, if I meet some hunka-hunka who effectively clubs me over the head with fatal attraction and drags me off by my hair to the Rev, that's different. A girl can change her mind, after all. But actively looking for it?

Man, get a dog. It loves you for who you are (and because you know where the food is) and you can always boot it outside if it piddles on the carpet. WAY easier than a woman.

Or if you feel the need to be treated with contempt and disdain, get a cat. I hear those work wonders, too.

 
At 9:17 AM , Blogger Kanani said...

Just set aside 2 hours a week, one night a week, to start your group. Promise..... you'll meet a whole new crowd!

 
At 5:32 PM , Blogger Wonderwood said...

GeeBee! I hear ya LOL Yeah, I know a few couples that have long term marriages, but I think they're the exception rather than the rule. I'd rather be comfortably alone than miserably committed.

Kanani, you say "one night a week" like it's nothing. One night a week is 14% of my nights. I don't have 14% to give up, unless I give up something else, and I'm not willing to make that trade off right now. Between going to the gym after work, AA meetings, and trying to write a novel in my "spare" time, I'm pretty much booked. Hell, I guess it's best I'm not in a relationship right now, I'd make a pretty shitty companion LOL

 
At 7:57 PM , Blogger GutterBall said...

I'd rather be comfortably alone than miserably committed.

Aaaaaaaaa-men.

I will never be so alone that I'd rather be stuck with someone who makes me hate myself. I like me just fine, and I'd like to keep it that way.

 
At 7:27 PM , Blogger ssas said...

I think it's sad that you guys only know a couple of people who are happy in long term relationships. I know, oh, about, fifty, and after twenty-one years, I count myself among them. I flirt with the best of them, but I wouldn't trade my husband for the world.

Oh well, there's always the internet...

 
At 5:06 PM , Blogger Wonderwood said...

SS, you are one of the lucky ones, but I probably exaggerate a little. I do know quite a few couples who are happily married, it just hasn't worked out for me that way. No big deal, it's a result of the lifestyle I lead for many years. I'm a bit more mature now and probably would make a better companion if I found the right person. I just haven't found that person since I've been capable of contributing to a relationship. I'm a patient man, and I've learned to go with the flow.

Thanks for dropping by, and thanks VERY much for your comments on chapter five. I'm working on that internal conflict for the MC and I have some ideas but nothing in stone yet. I really do appreciate your comments. It's going to be a good story when I get all the components in their proper place.

 
At 5:00 PM , Blogger GutterBall said...

You still kickin and grinnin, WW? Not that I'm the pot calling the kettle black or anything...*eyes own poor blog*...but just checking in.

 
At 5:08 PM , Blogger Wonderwood said...

Hiya GB, thanks for checking on me. I'm fine, just too lazy to blog LOL. Actually, I've been writing, reading, researching, etc. Not to mention working so I can pay the bills, and going to the gym so I can try to keep my old ass marketable ;-) That and the fact I haven't had much to say, but you know, I'll get the urge to rant here before too long. See ya around the ol' blog sites :-)

 
At 2:45 AM , Blogger Lexi said...

'But seriously, where the hell are the single thirty five to forty year old women?'

They're in London. (cf Bridget Jones).

I am aware this answer is of no use at all to you.

Sorry.

 
At 3:55 AM , Blogger Robin S. said...

Hey WW,

I'm visiting for the first time. I agree- with kanani- a writing critique group- or even a book club- most libraries have them, and lots of neighbrohoods have them. Book clubs are usually light on male members. Any book clubs I've been involved in are 80% or more female.

Try it! You're a sweetie.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home