Monday, July 16, 2007

Jinx

I had some success at work today. Hallelujah! It's been a long time coming. I'm almost afraid to write about it, like if I think too hard about it or say something, I'll jinx it. I'm superstitious that way. So all I'm going to say is, it was a good day and I hope I can keep the ball rolling.

I try not to let work affect my attitude during the other hours of the day, but inevitably, it has some effect on my overall disposition. When things are not going my way I don't smile or laugh as much, and I'm quicker to let stupid shit irritate me. When good things are happening on the job, I'm generally pretty happy and in a positive state of mind. Thank the Spirit for that. If work is my only worry, I guess I really don't have any.

I'm getting into the meat of my WIP, the middle chapters, and I'm trying to get things stirred up, ratchet up the tension, and the ideas are starting to flow - more like trickle, but hey, it's movement - and I've got some pretty good scenes in mind. I'm trying not to let the story bog down in the middle when I've got what I think is a pretty good start. I don't have the ending scene figured out yet but I'm looking forward to it. I guess a lot of writers know the end when they start the story but I don't. I'm sure it would be easier to write if I did but I doubt it would stay the same, I'd change it by the time I reached it.

Not much else to say, that is, if I've said anything at all. Peace and tiki torches...

6 Comments:

At 8:16 PM , Blogger GutterBall said...

Woot for good days at work, though they be few and far between. Lately, I've been ruminating pretty desperately on what I'd do if I hit the PowerBall jackpot. It's a cruddy time of year where I am now -- state audit time -- so I'm sure the urgency will pass with the month of July.

It's good that you can appreciate the up time and that you don't get too stressed over the down time. Sometimes, I think that's all that separates functioning people from nonfunctioning people -- taking pleasure in such a simple thing as a single good day at work.

It's that pleasure that keeps you moving from one day to the next. Sometimes it's pretty long in coming, but when you can enjoy it, you're still basically okay.

At least, that's what I tell myself. Heh.

 
At 4:40 AM , Blogger Wonderwood said...

Hiya GB! I'm with you on enjoying the good days. If you don't take a moment to appreciate the good, what's the point in trying? I try to keep things on an even keel, some days are easier than others. I'm hoping today will be another good one. Thanks for stopping by :-) You ready for a few more chapters? I'll probably be emailing you tonight.

 
At 5:37 AM , Blogger GutterBall said...

Woot! You bet your sweet bippy!

Since it would be pushing fate to go watch Transformers yet again, I really need something to take my mind off the coolness of humongo alien robots stomping around and stabbing each other in the head and generally making a lovely mess with rubble and witty comebacks.

 
At 11:22 PM , Blogger Kanani said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:27 PM , Blogger Kanani said...

Hey...I hit publish rather than preview! I had to delete the above.

Yeah, that's called mid-plot droop, where the middle of your story wanders.

I was explaining to someone that the middle part was like a bridge. Only thing is you HAVE to know where the first truss is, as well as the last, in order to create a strong middle.

So where does your middle begin? Where does it end? Figure that out and you'll do okay.
I had exactly that problem until I sat down and figured out where the 1/3 and 2/3 marks were in my storyline. Not pages... but in the plot.

Recently I read a Young adult fantasy novel. The author did something fairly deadly. almost a guarantee that the story will wander: she took the reader on a journey. Train, forest... at some point it wasn't clear why we were on the train, why we were walking through a forest. It was filled with wonderful description and interesting details, but truly, it was the weakest part of the book. Without keen attention to the WHY, train rides can go on forever. Frankly, I put it down. I haven't finished it.

Yet.... because of the details and the voice, it'll be a best seller. Plus, let's face it... the hype alone will carry it. But the fact that I didn't feel compelled to muddle through the middle was a good lesson.

Hope all is well. Swing by and visit sometime. Sorry it's been so long since I came by. AT&T cut out service to 900 customers without notice for 5 days to switch us over to fibre optics.

 
At 5:35 PM , Blogger Wonderwood said...

Hey Kanani! Thanks for stopping by. As you can see by the dates of my posts, I don't get by here that often myself LOL. I will stop by and visit your corner of the net.

I appreciate your comment about not letting the story wander. I think that's what is keeping me from moving at a faster pace, I'm really trying to keep the story focused and the plot moving forward, and keep the tension ratcheted up. Chapter ten is turning out to be a fun chapter. I've got most of the raw material down, and I believe the scene works pretty well, so now I'm putting the shine on it.

Thanks again! See you over at your place.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home