Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Crapometer

I found the Crapometer blog a few weeks ago; someone in the comments section of Evil Editor's blog linked it so I clicked on it. I'd seen it mentioned before, in Miss Snark's blog, but hadn't checked it out until recently. I really like it. The regulars there give excellent critiques of people's submitted work, really insightful comments and suggestions.

I didn't wait long to submit the first chapter of my current WIP. I really didn't know what to expect. I thought it was pretty tight, but I've thought that about my writing before and been wrong. I was fairly certain that it didn't suck, but I really didn't know if any writers would like it or not. Needless to say, I was hoping for some compliments along with some constructive criticism. As it turned out, it got some pretty damn good reviews. All of the comments contained some level of praise, a couple of actual superlatives. I was flattered, big time.

The insight of some of the people that commented was amazing, and most helpful. I incorporated some of the suggested changes and the result is a tight, vivid first chapter. I think.

I'm working on the seventh chapter now, at about 17K words, still a long way to go. I don't have all the plot issues and subplots worked out yet, they're coming slowly. The good news is I'm making progress, even if it isn't at the pace I'd like. The mystery has been laid out, the plot foundation established, most of the players introduced. Now as I decide on a couple of plot details, the subplots hopefully will start to come clear and I can pick up the pace of my productivity.

I might submit another chapter to the Crapometer, get some feedback on a chapter further into the story, maybe chapter six. It still needs more polish, but it might be ready soon. We'll see.

Peace and cool pillows...

4 Comments:

At 1:04 AM , Blogger Kanani said...

Hey... try to find a local writers group as well.

Sure, you'll have to trip through a lot of sub par comments ...mainly because giving feedback is a very hard thing to do well, but eventually you'll find someone you want to swap pages with. In person critiques are just so much better, and they open up a whole new group of people to know.

Good to see you back. I've got a bit on critiques on my blog right now.

 
At 8:43 PM , Blogger Wonderwood said...

Hey Kanani! You know, I've been to one crit group meeting and to tell the truth, I don't have the time to be able to commit to critiquing someone else's work on a deadline type basis. My time is pretty well spoken for as it is, but I've learned so much from the regular blogs I read, I think I'm getting a pretty good return on my time investment there.

I'm gonna check out your blog on critiques. I'm getting better at it, but I still have a way to go.

Thanks for dropping by!

 
At 6:50 PM , Blogger ssas said...

Yeah, I recall your work. I recall enjoying it, as a matter of fact.

 
At 7:44 PM , Blogger Wonderwood said...

Hey SS@S! Thanks for stopping by! Your comments on my opening chapter were very flattering, and your suggestions most helpful. I worked on that opening sentence (you stumbled on a modifying phrase) and I think it reads much better now. The old opening line was:

Amber light glowed from an open window in the back of the shack, sitting four feet above the water.

The new line:

Amber light glowed from an open window in the back of the shack, and from the rear deck a small dock floated with the rise and fall of the tide.

The suggestion you and the others made really helped. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home